100 Facts Rocks and Minerals is a non fiction book for kids, bursting with exactly 100 fantastic facts, incredible images and great activities to help children learn everything they need to know about geology and the study of rocks.
100 Facts Rocks and Minerals includes key topics about the substances that have shaped Earth in easily-digestible, numbered facts. Every page features amazing illustrations and photographs that clarify difficult points for children. This concise rock book for kids aged 6+ will inspire an interest in these beautiful natural formations.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Rocks and Minerals:
– The continuous life cycle of rocks and the process of erosion and metamorphosis
– The main three rock types and how to study them like a geologist
– Why minerals are so precious and what products they can be found in
Examples of ‘I don’t believe it’ fascinating facts:
– Uluru in Australia is the most famous block of freestanding rock. It is a 348-metre-high lump of sandstone and is 300 million years old.
– Gneiss found in northern Canada is the world’s oldest rock. It was created under the volcanoes that made the first landmasses around four billion years ago.
– Not all fossils are stone. Tree sap hardens into amber, and sometimes insects and tiny animals become trapped in sap. When the sap hardens, the animal is preserved forever.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
– Get a reaction! A group of minerals called carbonates react to acid. Find out by dropping a rock you find into some vinegar and see if it fizzes!
– Quiz question: Pumice is one of the heaviest types of rocks. True or false?
– Grow your own stalactite using Epsom salts, two jars, hot water and string
82 in stock